Fika Mental Health
Journal Prompts for Depression
We aren't always able to talk to our therapist or reach out to a loved one when we feel sadness, low mood, or depression come on. Here are a few prompts to explore some of these feelings.
1. What are the common triggers that lead to your depression?
2. What negative thoughts or beliefs do you struggle with the most when you're feeling depressed?
3. Describe a time when you overcame depression. What strategies did you use?
4. How do you cope with depression? What has worked for you in the past?
5. What are the things that make you happy? How can you incorporate them into your daily routine?
6. Describe your support system. Who can you turn to when you're feeling down?
7. What are your goals in life? How can you work towards achieving them?
8. How has your depression affected your relationships?
9. What activities do you enjoy doing that bring you peace and calmness?
10. What would you say to someone who is struggling with depression?
11. What self-care activities can you do to improve your mood when you're feeling depressed?
12. What are some healthy coping mechanisms you can use when you're feeling overwhelmed or stressed?
13. What is your favourite memory and how can you recreate it?
14. What is something you have learned from your struggles with depression?
15. What advice would you give to someone who is supporting a loved one with depression?
If you feel like you are risk of harm to yourself please reach out to your nearest crisis line, dial 911, or visit your emergency room with a loved one. Journalling is not a replacement for crisis service or therapy and your safety is worth prioritizing.